2nd March 2024

Search Roade Parish Council

Serving the people of Roade

Here are some recently asked questions

A question mark

What if I want to attend a meeting and speak?

All Council and committee meetings are open to the public and you are very welcome to attend. Meetings are usually on 2nd Monday of the month at the Village Hall (but do check first). The meeting Agenda is published at least 3 full days before the meeting and is on the Council website and notice board by the post office. The full Council meeting starts at 7pm. There are Public Forums in the meeting, the public forum lasts for a total of 15 minutes. Each member of the public can speak for a maximum of approx. 3 mins, all questions are noted, and will either be responded to within the meeting or by the Clerk in the days following the meeting.

Once the main meeting has started, no further comments from the public are allowed unless requested by the Chairman.

Why we don't fix potholes?

Northants County Council Highways Dept are responsible for all road and pavement repairs. We can report any, but so can the public, on https://www.fixmystreet.com/

If you do not have access to the internet you could call the Parish office on 01604 861976 and we will report it for you.

This link can also be used to report fly tipping and abandoned vehicles.

There is a new phone app that easily reports many street problems including potholes. It's called Fixmystreet.

Is RPC responsible for mowing the verges and street furniture?

Yes, the Parish Council uses a contractor to mow the verges and we also use the services of a self-employed village technician to repair and maintain our street furniture such as the benches and waste bins. The cost of this is met by the precept which is a portion of the Council tax that residents pay.

Why can't there be a car park for the Primary School. The traffic can be at gridlock?

There have been traffic issues at peak times around the primary school for many years, as there are at most schools around the country.

As the primary school has doubled in size this has become a major issue for our Parish. However, planning permission was granted by the planning authority and they did not foresee any issues therefore there has not been very much mitigation. The Parish Council have no powers to use compulsory purchase to buy land for a car park.

Who repairs the streetlights?

RPC pay for street lighting, repairs and electricity. We have recently replaced all lighting units and fitted LED lights that last longer and use less electricity. Replacing the streetlights was funded by the New Homes Bonus Grant from South Northamptonshire Council. If a light is not working can you, please call/e-mail the Parish Council Clerk. We do not call out an engineer until there are three faulty lights in the Parish, this may be why there could appear to be a delay in getting lights fixed.

The Parish Council appears to have a lot of money in the bank, what are you going to do with it?

The Council has received some income from the new developments. This money was called 'S.106 funds' and is to be used to mitigate the effects of housing developments. It is kept entirely separate to the Council's day to day accounts.

There are specific criteria for how and where this money is to be spent, a large amount of it must be spent on play areas.

For any new projects, New Homes Bonus has replaced S106 funds. Any Parish can apply for funding from this central pot held by South Northants Council.

Why did/didn't you refuse a planning application?

RPC don't have the powers to refuse or agree to a planning application. We review every application and either offer no comment/objection or raise concerns. These comments are sent to the planning department at South Northants Council who ultimately decide. Any member of the public can submit their own comment by going onto SNC website.


In the dropdown menu, search for Roade and you can see the applications.

Why can't I get a Doctor's appointment?

Roade surgery is run by the GPs as a business with funding from the NHS, so the Parish Council does not have the power to do anything. We can however confirm that land has been purchased on the former factory site for a new, bigger surgery.

I still see dog fouling, what are you doing about this?

We have put various dog waste bins in the village. The Parish Council have no powers to pursue offenders, if anyone sees someone letting their dog foul please report it to Environmental Health at SNC on the following link

https://www.southnorthants.gov.uk/info/288/dogs/223/report-dog-fouling. Extra bins have been put in place and we will monitor.

Who owns and manages Roade Cemetery?

The Parish Council own the cemetery land and manage all aspects of the cemetery. Please contact the Clerk on 01604 861976 for any information regarding the cemetery.

What is happening to the former George pub site?

Planning permission was granted for 2 retail units; however, the owners aren't under obligation to build. The Parish Council do not control the site.

Why has a fence been put up at the bottom of the Rec?

It was highlighted to us that in heavy rain the volume of water flowing could be dangerous to a small child or infirm adult. Once highlighted, we had to act, as owners of the land.

The Water Tower looks unsightly, are you going to paint it?

The Tower belongs to Anglian Water and so their responsibility. We have contacted Anglian Water and they have no plans to refurbish the tower until 2020 at the earliest.

Who owns and manages Roade's play parks?

The Parish Council own the Rec and manage all aspects of the play equipment there and in Churchcroft open space. We have recently spent over £250,000 updating both parks, catering for all ages through a variety of grants. Please contact the Clerk on 01604 861976 for any information or to report any damage caused to these play parks.

Last updated: Thu, 18 Feb 2021 19:47